Words & Music at the Carnegie: from historic library to OPERA CENTER
Des Moines Metro Opera has grown and flourished over the past four decades, expanding its performances, creating statewide educational opportunities for thousands of students and reaching out to under-served populations that otherwise would have no possibility of experiencing an opera.
For the past 30 years the historic Indianola Carnegie Library has served as the administrative home to Des Moines Metro Opera. The time has come, however, to address pressing and significant building needs and to transform the library into a functional, accessible OPERA CENTER to support the program, education and outreach components of DMMO.
To achieve this vision for the future, DMMO is embarking on a $3.5 million capital campaign which will:
CREATE NEW SPACE FOR EDUCATIONAL OUTREACH AND COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
- 400 additional square feet (1,200 square feet total) to enhance year-round educational programming and off-season rehearsals, expand DMMO’s statewide reach and allow overall growth of the organization.
- New 2-level, 1,800 square foot atrium to foster engagement with a variety of audiences – educational offerings, outreach activities and community meetings, none of which is currently possible.
IMPROVE ACCESSIBILITY, FUNCTIONALITY AND SAFETY TO MEET CURRENT STANDARDS
- ADA-compliant environment so that persons of all ages and capabilities can easily access the building and participate in DMMO activities
- Efficiencies to improve work flow and productivity
- Upgraded heating, cooling, energy efficiency, electrical systems and plumbing
PRESERVE THE HISTORICAL STATURE OF THE BUILDING WITHIN THE COMMUNITY
- A 110-year-old community icon whose historical significance is maintained and sustained for generations to come
“With the planned expansion, Des Moines Metro Opera will be able to increase its service to the community and educational programming while improving its capacity to produce opera of the highest quality for today’s most talented rising artists. The Company is fortunate to have leaders willing to strengthen its infrastructure for the benefit of future generations.” – Marc A. Scorca, President/CEO, Opera America
The renovation of the Carnegie Library will create an enhanced rehearsal space for the Company’s education and outreach programs. The renovation will also improve the functionality of DMMO’s administrative efforts as well as the safety standards and energy efficiency of a 110-year-old historic structure. Finally, the project will preserve the historical integrity of a building which has been an iconic landmark for the city of Indianola since 1904.
The atrium addition will add 1,800 square feet of new space on two levels, including an elevator to improve accessibility for all visitors. The unique all-glass construction allows the original north facade of the library to be seen in its entirety, which will preserve the authenticity of the building’s historic design. The addition will also create a dynamic space for Company and community events – including meetings, presentations, receptions and recitals.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
By making a gift to the Words & Music at the Carnegie Capital Campaign, you can help Des Moines Metro Opera celebrate its 45th anniversary and realize its vision of transforming the historic Carnegie Library into a functional, accessible OPERA CENTER. Many gifts of varying sizes are needed to reach our $3.5 million goal – and with your help we can achieve this.
HOW YOU CAN MAKE YOUR GIFT
- by check, cash or credit card
- with a pledge (to be paid over 3-5 years)
- with appreciated securities
- with a life income gift such as a charitable gift annuity
- with tangible personal property
To give a gift online, click HERE.
To request additional information or to schedule a meeting with our staff to learn more about the project, please contact Ellen Diehl, Director of Advancement & Operations, at email@example.com or 515.961.6221.
Gifts may be sent to:
Words & Music at the Carnegie Capital Campaign Des Moines Metro Opera 106 W Boston Ave Indianola IA 50125